question-icon

What causes numbness in hand and upper lip during pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: Hi I'm 5 months pregnant and I had numbness in my left hand and upper lip and loss of vision. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
possible impending eclampsia or stroke..report to ER

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
At 5 months pregnancy , the symptoms of numbness in upper arm , lip and blurring of vision is indicative of a possible impending eclampsia if you have been a hypertensive during the pregnancy or it can be an onset of isolated episode of transient ischaemic attack or stroke . In either case you should be visiting ER asap.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist