What causes numbness in foot?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Have numbness in my right foot (just the upper part of big toe and long toe and adjoining areas) for the past two days. I woke up with numb foot and think it is something to do with inadequate sleeping posture.

Should I consult a doctor for this and whom?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait and watch.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and agree that it is a minor neurological problem. Most likely, it is related to mechanical compression of the local nerves of foot due to sleeping posture or footwear.

As of now, there is no need to see a doctor. However, if the area of numbness increases or if you develop weakness of toes, you may consult a neurologist.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/