Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

What causes numbness in foot?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5572 Questions
Have numbness in my right foot (just the upper part of big toe and long toe and adjoining areas) for the past two days. I woke up with numb foot and think it is something to do with inadequate sleeping posture.

Should I consult a doctor for this and whom?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can wait and watch.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and agree that it is a minor neurological problem. Most likely, it is related to mechanical compression of the local nerves of foot due to sleeping posture or footwear.

As of now, there is no need to see a doctor. However, if the area of numbness increases or if you develop weakness of toes, you may consult a neurologist.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor