What causes numbness in feet while lying down?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: I have numbness in both feet that is noticeable only when I lie down to go to sleep. It is focused primarily right at the base of my foot ( both right and left with good symethery ) directly behind toes. Movement does not curtail or decrease this sensation. This is not pain and eventually I do fall asleep. This can persist and continue to present itself even in the morning when I am awake. I have no related sensation in my hands.Once I am up and active I lose awareness that this sensation exists. I am 69 years old and was an active squash player for a significant part of my life and developed obvious calf muscles. I wonder if there could be a circulation problem to my feet because of aging and changes in my blood vessels. I have no elevation in blood pressure ( usually 140 over 75 or so ) Because I have been up now for 40 minutes the sensation in my feet is losing its intensity as I am sitting and my legs are vertical. I have had regular blood work and there has not been evidence of diabetes. I believe that I suffer from more fatigue than would be normal for my age.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Appears to be peripheral neuropathy.
2. As Diabetes is ruled out, can think of nutritional causes maybe related to malnutrition or alcohol.
3. Nutritional supplement composed of Vit B12, B6 and thiamine should help in improvement.
4. Overall, there appears to be no compression symptoms and no motor functions loss (no weakness of muscles or atrophy). Only sensory loss and symmetrical, usually first in legs, points towards nutritional cause.
5. Blood vessels are good. If they were abnormal, movement should have caused pain (intermittent or claudication pain) and more sensory loss.

Improving nutrition through supplements and diet will be helpful.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj