What causes numbness in feet and mouth with extreme fatigue?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My hands feet and mouth area have been feeling numb since the morning with extreme fatigue. I took one 20mg pill in the morning (prescribed 60/day) and when the symptons developed I did not take anymore. This numbing sensation isn't going away tho. Can it take more than a few hours? I also take 20mg Viibryd and 5mg cytomel and 50mc of synthroid for hypothyroidism
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Too early to worry, watch again, drink much water.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand how disturbing this could be, especially when you are experiencing this for the very first time. None the less, it is important to properly situate the onset of the symptoms in relation to the "60mg per day" drug you were prescribed. Did you develop the symptoms only after taking the drug, or you have developed such symptoms sometime before taking the drug? If they developed only after you took the drug, it might be a possible side effect of the drug. the drug leaflet could be helpful to be checked to see if this is a commonly reported side effect with it. Stopping the drug could then be advocated. The symptoms should however regress when the drug is stopped. Stopping the drug however should be under the consent of your prescribing dr. In case symptoms persist even after the drug is stopped, some other causes must be sought for.

It might be too early to worry, in case you have already stopped the drug. Waiting for a couple of days is advice, and you should normally feel better. You should only be worried and other causes of such numb feeling and fatigue checked ONLY if symptoms persist.

Thanks and kind regards. Please, do feel free asking further questions in case you need any further clarifications or have any updates. I would be glad making any humble contributions.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj