What causes numbness in face,lips,hands,fingers and feet?

Posted on Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I am XXXX, I facing some abnormal issues now a days, getting little numbness in my hand fingers and leg foot and fingers. and little swelling in legs. before 3 days feeling numbness in lips when wakeup in morning, and from that day feeling little numbness in face and feeling something abnormal when face wash in the morning/wakeup. about me: computer professional, working from home, most of the hours per day by sitting in executive chair. no other sport and walking activities, but often going for shopping, school
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Peripheral neuropathy. Blood Sugar, Vitamin B12,CT Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The problems you are facing now are either 1. Early sign of stroke- if the numbness is one side of lip, one upper limb and one lower limb or 2. Peripheral neuropathy. There are plenty of causes for Peripheral neuropathy. Diabetes mellitus is the most common cause of peripheral neuropathy. But it may associated with increased urination, increase appetite and increased intake of water. Some other common causes of peripheral neuropathy are 1. Vitamin deficiencies- Mainly B12 deficiency 2. Alcholism leading to poor intake and peripheral neuropathy. You need thorough physical examination and neurological examination to find the extent of numbness and severity of numbness and other neurological signs. Further you need to following investigations to find the cause. 1. Blood tests- Blood sugar, Vitamin B12 level, liver or kidney function tests 2. An electromyogram (EMG), a test of the electrical activity of muscle 3. Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) 4. Computed tomography (CT) Brain 5. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) Brain Then consult with a neurologist Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 days later
Hello Sir, Sorry for the disturbance, I attached here my latest test report of blood and urine, please can you take a look and give your valuable suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Prediabetic. Change your life style. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your reports. Your test result shows 1. High White blood cell count and Mild Neutrophilia. This is most commonly due to Acute infection. Whether you have any infection like cold, cough, urinary tract infection or fever? If you do not have any infection now or recent past, then it may be due to stress or immune disorders 2. Fasting blood Sugar. Your fasting blood sugar indicates that you are in Pre- Diabetic stage ie. Impaired fasting glucose. 3. Lipid Profile Your Total Cholesterol and LDL Cholesterol level is increased. Risk of heart disease for you is high compared to the other normal population. 4. Increased ALT. This is usually increased in Liver diseases. But this may also be increased in diabetes and heart diseases etc. My advice is to change your lifestyle. 1. Exercise regularly - atleast 45 minutes for 5 days a week. 2. Avoid fried and oily foods 3. Take plenty of green vegetables and fruits. 4. Completely avoid commercial baked products, such as cookies, crackers and snack cakes. 5. Plan your diet according to the calorie required per day and then consume. 6. Recheck the Total and Diffrential count after a week. 7. Check your blood sugar once in 3 months 8. Check your lipid profile once in 6 months 7. Please recheck ALT level after a month. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Manjeth Kumar G