What causes numbness in arms, legs and face?

Dr. Paparaja S

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 5 Feb 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Doctor,
I smashed the top of my head hard on a concrete wall 10 months ago. I immediately felt mild numbness in both my arms and legs and right side of my face. All this has gradually gone away overtime. I went to ER and they checked my reflexes and did a CT all of which came back normal. I had mild nausea, felt disoriented and out of it, noise and light sensitivity, severe ringing in my ears(present till this day). The MRI came back negative as well. I have also developed a weird sensitivity of brain to jarring and bumps on road which nobody understands. It has become very difficult to ride in cars or go out as i fear i might be giving myself sub concussive impacts and further worsening my condition. The ringing is on and off but present most of the time. Is there anything else going on ? My balance seem to be fine except some dizziness for a second or two couple of times in a day. My PT said my vestibular is mostly ok. It could be the neck soft tissue. I took cinnarizine and dimenhydrinate for vertigo but it gave me sleep jerks. Please guide. Thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Paparaja S 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have tinnitus secondary to trauma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..welcome to healthcare magic..

I have gone through your question...

You have got tinnitus(ringing) secondary to trauma... The trauma must have damaged your inner ear which leads to ringing sensation... Using ginkobelloba and distractive methods like listening to mistuned FM and deviating your concentration to a click sound of alarm clock during bed time will help.. There are also tinnitus maskers like hearing aids.

And regarding your giddiness(dizziness) please give some more history ...
1) which time of the day you get giddiness?
2) whether change in position induce giddiness?
3) do you feel giddiness while walking?

Please answer and send me back...

Thank you..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari