• question-icon

What causes numbness in arms and legs?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am losing loss of sensation in my arms and legs. I have had cervical fusion of c3 c4 c 5. I now have minimal changes in c8 i am told. I have mild stenosis.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cervical changes would affect the arms,lumbar the legs

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The changes in the cervical vertebra would account for the abnormal loss of sensation in the arms but not in the legs. Though most persons have 7 cervical vertebra only, there are some persons who may have 8 cervical vertebra, as in your case.

Stenosis or narrowing of the vertebra can compress the nerves in the area and cause changes in sensation such as the loss that you described.
Others may have burning, tingling, sticking etc

If the changes in your legs is due to changes in the vertebra, it would be the lumbar vertebra, the nerves from the lumbar area supply the lower limbs.

Other causes of abnormal sensation are: a) vitamin b12 or folate deficiency
(b)diabetes
(c)liver or kidney disease
(d)neurological disease such as stroke or ms
(e) some hormonal or autoimmune diseases

Blood tests can determine if any of these are present

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James