Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What causes numbness in arm and racing heart beat?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
My partner is saying he feels "not right" says he feels crawling under his skin, and is breathing funny like gasping then not breathing, he says his lwft arm (which was recently broken boxer fracture) is going numb. If he lays on his left side his heart starts racing and his arm goes numb again. Should I take him to the hospital? We have 4 kids and I would have to get them up and take them with us...
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: State of intoxication Detailed Answer: Hi The description fits under intoxication of alcohol or substance abuse. I am not sure if your husband had a bout of alcohol or he abuses drugs. IF the liver enzymes elevated it important to abstain from these. The metabolism of these would be at stake. It would be helpful to take him to the ER for evaluation. This at least helps us to check with an ECG as sometimes heart issues present with such non specific symptoms. Let me know if you have any specifics.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes numbness in arm and racing heart beat? 5 minutes later
he has an appointment scheduled for Friday. I try to get him to go to the hospital but he refuses. I'm afraid to go to sleep and something happens to him. should I call the paramedics and make him go or do you think he may be ok until Friday? he claims if he lays on his back his heart is normal.just when he lays on his left side it starts racing. personally, I am scared for him, but he is stubborn and downplays everything.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Call 911 Detailed Answer: In case of fear and doubt it is better to get this clarified at doctor's office/ER soon. If it is not emergency at least you can sleep quiet with your kids. If he is stubborn call 911 and let paramedics do the work.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor