What causes numbness and weakness in the limbs while lying on the back?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
Hi, when I lay flat on my back sleeping all my limbs are falling asleep/weird sensation of weakness/losing blood feeling. This started happening about 3-4 weeks ago in a real noticeable way. Not even bending my limbs. It's really starting to scare me. I've recently started working out in the last 2 months building more muscle and read it could be the new muscle mass doing it. Unrelated to this I've had blood work done in last few months to check for all sorts of disease, etc as my wife and I are pregnant and have clean XXXXXXX of health. What could this be? If I'm propped up on an angle the numbness subsides. I'm 37 and generally seem healthy.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spinal issues to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

You refer about numbness, right?

Neurological symptoms related to body position may indicate stenosis ( narrowing of spinal cord ) or lysthesis ( slipped vertebrae ) of the vertebral column, so, in my opinion, this possibility should be evaluated further.

Imaging studies of your spine ( x-rays and MRI ) may be necessary to evaluate this possibility.

If there is no stenosis, lysthesis, then probably building up muscles increased the need for blood.

It is known that there is a drop in blood pressure during sleep, so, combination of these two factors may cause your symptoms.

However, get a medical evaluation by your primary care Doctor as a first step to understand better your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.