What causes numbness and tingling sensation in the right side of the face?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have numbness and tingling more on my right than left, stopped cold turkey after 24 years of smoking and face also
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be a TIA or stroke

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon.

The symptoms of numbness and tingling over only half the face could be the sign of a sensory stroke or TIA in progress. If the symptom is still present and suddenly came on or you noticed this symptom upon awakening then, you should proceed to an ER immediately or call 911 for assistance. This may seem like overkill but your symptom may suddenly progress without warning and if you are outside a hospital there will be likely complications of a severe nature.

If the symptoms are since subsided then, I advise you obtain an appointment with a neurologist as soon as possible since this can come back....they usually do when they are TIA's and they usually come back within 30 days of the first episode but unlike the 1st episode the 2nd episode may be more intense and involve more features of neurological concern such as speech/language, and motor function.

Although there are certainly other things much less dramatic than a stroke that could be causing your symptoms but the most important concern as far as I am concerned right now is that of either TIA or stroke which should be looked at quickly and treated as appropriate.
If I've adequately addressed your concerns could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating to our encounter if you feel my suggestions have helped? Again, many thanks for posing your question.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.