• question-icon

What causes numbness and tingling sensation in the left arm?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Yes I am experiencing numbness and tingling in my left arm only a couple weeks after starting lisinopril and increasing dosage from 10 to 15 mg/day. Also my bp is still high so I'm now taking 10mg twice a day and my bp is still high what should i do? Is the tingling and numbness dangerous my doc said I could go up to 40mg but I'm scared bc of this numbness and tingling. Thank you for taking my question
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Arm symptoms not related to lisinopril and not dangerous

Detailed Answer:
I read your question and I understand your concern.

However I do not see why you should be afraid to increase Lisinopril because of the symptoms in the arm. Those symptoms are not caused by Lisinopril, it doesn't cause any such side effect, the fact symptoms started after initiating Lisinopril is only a coincidence.

As for whether the tingling and numbness being dangerous I would say that in the absence of other symptoms it is very unlikely. Most probably it is due to a peripheral neuropathy due to nerve compression from neck spinal issues or compression further downwards (to distinguish a physical exam and nerve conduction studies may be necessary). In any case peripheral nerve issues are not threatening it can wait till the next appointment with your doctor.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist