What causes numbness and tingling sensation in the hand?

Posted on Fri, 23 Dec 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had the same symptoms for three days running, lasting about 20 minutes. Numbness and tingling in my
right hand and arm up to elbow. Then tingling and numbness on the side of my tongue, right and then left,
unable to speak correctly, mouth feels swollen. Symptoms disappear after about 20 minutes.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probable TIA

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I believe those episodes constitute transient ischemic attacks (TIAs). It is a subtype of stroke, in which a blood vessel is occluded but fortunately it is recanalized spontaneously in time for there not to be a permanent damage from the lack of blood supply, so the symptoms are transitory.

It should be taken very seriously because it is a warning sign of an impending stroke, so urgent measures should be taken to identify the cause and address it in order to prevent a stroke with permanent consequences from happening. The fact that the symptoms happen always in the same way makes the possibility of an atherosclerotic plaque in one of the vessels supplying the brain most likely, particularly the internal carotid artery in the neck.

So you should head to the emergency room, you should have a physical exam as well as imaging of the brain and the blood vessels of the head and neck, some blood tests and an EKG for possible heart issues. Most probably some blood thinner like aspirin and a statin will be started. Whether other measures will be needed depends on the tests results.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist