• question-icon

What causes numbness and tingling on face while laughing?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Laughing causes my face to become numb and tingly. When I laugh too much my face, or half of my face because numb and I get a tingly sensation. Sometimes my left eye also begins to twitch when this occurs. I also get pain at this time, in the back of my head right above my neck. As if there is a cluster headache there.

Rarely, my hands also become tingly and numb during this time.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Innocuous most likely, needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Lets start from the best case scenario.. You are overwhelming a normal physiological response and making it a worrisome paranoia. Every person when laugh a lot the facial muscles fatigue and all the barrage of symptoms from pin and needles and paresthesias and cluster headaches are the result and it is just as normal as possible. You are young male of 22 and i believe there is nothing to worry about. All you need is some laughter therapy to avoid unnecessary intra cranial or intra abdominal pressure building up to create any derangement in normal physiological phenomenon.
Moving on, it could be some neurological symptom or deranged motor neurons, or a neuropathy prioritizing nutritional neuropathy, and a facial nerve compression or bells palsy preliminary symptoms. Some least likely worst case scenarios like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or any demyelinating neuronal disease or any pseudobulbar symptoms can explain it but as i said these are shooting blanks and last options to think about. Then comes theories like laughing induced deranged intracranial pressures leading to herniations but trust me, i would be the last person to think of that possibility.
Seek a neurologist and let them sort it out for you. Take some nutritional supplements, vitamin B12 and folates, neurotonic and facial muscles exercises, use chewing gum and rest for a while. Get assessed for the complete neurological functions but there wont be any thing to worry about.
At the end it would be no more than mere anxiety.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan