What causes numbness and tingling of both feet?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello
Last weekend I help with a move. Not really anything crazy heavy but carried allot of items. This was Saturday. I woke up Monday morning with a little minor back pain. It went away on Tuesday. I am very active with work and sports and have no issues with anything at this point. I have no more back pain at all at all but I started getting numbness and tingling in one then both feet. I can't quite remember when it started, if it was before or after the weekend. I feel something here and there a little bit up the leg just a little. I exercise allot. when I flex my foot and calf, my calves "Charlie Horse". you see I tore my Achilles two years ago and I have been constantly doing heal raises to strengthen the calf along with lunges.
any ideas? can you have that type of numbness without disc issues? I started to do more stretching. Calf, Quad and Glute stretches.
thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral nerve

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

Numbness and tingling of both feet are due to peripheral nerve involvement. Disc prolapse will almost always cause pain at the site of disc prolapse and muscle weakness and not tingling of feet. This looks unrelated to the disc/spine.

Some of the most common reasons for tingling and numbness are vitamin b 12 deficiency, diabetes and thyroid disorders. I suggest you to get yourself tested for these three issues before any further work up. I also recommend that you see a GP as soon as possible for a clinical examination to assess the situation.

I hope I was of help, you have any further queries please get back to me I will be happy to help

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
on april 12th I fell rollerblading on the side of my right shoulder. I didn't hurt much at the time and was surprised the next day that it hardly hurt at all. it thought I was all set about a month later I noticed a lump in the sternoclavicular area. it's still there and my neck and shoulder are still stiff with certain movements I guess from the injury. could there be any peripheral nerve damage resulting from that fall
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply

I understand that you had fallen down on the side of your right shoulder and you were symptom free for a month and now you have noticed a lump at the sternoclavicular area. I need to know a few more details in order to understand this query

1. Is the lump tender to touch?
2. Is the moment painful while looking to the left or right? or is it not painful just stiff?
3. Had the lump grown in size?
4. Have you taken any medications to take care of this ?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
it's tender on what seems to be the end of Clavicle bone and really not on the inflammation
doesn't hurt left to right. with some arm movements I feel a clicking
I'd say it's the same size. it may have been there earlier and I didn't notice it. you have to look good to see it
advil is all
thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rotator Cuff injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was held up at my hospital

What you are suffering from is not related to peripheral nerves. It looks like you are suffering from rotator cuff injury. However to rule out a fracture of the clavicle bone I would want you to get an x ray of the clavicle bone, the best investigation for you would be MRI but its a little expensive.

For now only physiotherapy can help you, I do not recommend pain killers for rotator cuff injuries as you might have to take it for a very long time. Seek help from a professional for 1 to 2 weeks and then try to do it on your own. Do not lift heavy weights as it might make it worse. Do not engage in activities which might involve rotatory movements of the shoulder like tennis and swimming until you are better as it might make it worse.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist