What causes numbness and tingling in hand, forearm and fingers?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My right hand and forearm are cold, somewhat numb and tingling. Not all fingers are numb. There is no pain. It has been this way for several days? What should I do? What type of doctor do I need to see?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A neurologist would be the best option. Your GP can evaluate you first and refer you to one of these doctors.

Numbness and other altered sensation would imply that the nerves supplying these areas are not working as they should though this abnormal sensation can occur if the blood supply to this area is compressed or reduced for some reason.

In the case of nerve conditions, this could be due to different causes such as: (1) trauma- compression of nerves as they pass from the neck through the axilla down the arm , fore arm to the hand

This can occur from simple conditions in some cases such as arthritis at any of the joints

This is one of the more common causes

(2)vitamin b12 or folate deficiency

(3)diabetes

(4)liver or kidney disease

(5)idiopathic- cause not known

(6)some nerve related conditions such as stroke or ms

A neurologist would be able to assess nerve function, can also check pulse at wrist and elbow to make sure these are normal.

Would also be able to assess to determine the cause.

Treatment would vary depending on the cause.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James