• question-icon

What causes numbness and throbbing sensation in hand post endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy?

Posted on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I just underwent endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy for treating secondary Raynaud's. My hand was numb, throbbing, painful and it's been two weeks since the sympathectomy but I have no relief! How could this happen? My surgeon only stated "go to an ER then bc my surgery was successful." I am miserable.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a second opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy is used to treat among others the Raynaud's phenomenon, when drugs treatment (antidepressives eg.) failed to improve symptoms.

This procedure results in immediate improvement in about 85-90% of patients, but symptoms recur often.

If the first procedure was unsuccessful, you should discuss with your treating Doctor about repeating the procedure.

A second opinion by another Doctor that if familiar with thoracic sympathectomy also could give you more insight on your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical