What causes numbness and swelling at Methamphetamine injection site?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I shot methamphetamine into my right wrist approximately 3 inches below my thumb. After doing a shot I notice that I cannot move my 4 finger and thumb and they were going numb as well as swelling in the injection site . It also hurts very badly to stretch out my two fingers.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to get to ER or Urgent Care

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. I understand you must be anxious about this. But my fear is that you have injured either a nerve or a tendon in your hand. In this case, permanent damage may limit your future dexterity and coordination.

Hopefully, there is nothing to worry about, but my first recommendation is to get to you Local ER or Urgent Care Facility.

In the meantime: Lets discuss First Aid. Please put some ice in a plastic bag and wrap it in a thin towel or handkerchief. Apply it to the injection site for 10 minutes at a time and then release it for 5. I would also strongly suggest you apply an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin to the injection site. Don't try and inject anything else.

I hope this helps. Let me know whats on your mind and feel free to ask a follow-up question.

Vinay

Follow-up: What causes numbness and swelling at Methamphetamine injection site? 14 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I started to regain feeling about an hour later. It is still extremely sore and a little swollen at injection site, but overall feels a lot better. Is their anything I need to keep an eye out for?

Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain and skin color changes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again XXXX, Thanks for following up. I'm glad the injection site feels better. You may have escaped any major injury.

Keep looking out for increasing pain, swelling, redness or darkening of the skin. If any of these things happen, you'll know it because the pain will be worse as well. At that point you will need to be seen by a doctor.

Hope this helps,

Vinay