What causes numbness and pain in the fingers, cold intolerance and neck pain?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am having frequent migraines, severe neck pain, tingling in my fingers and toes which sometimes turn completely white toward the tips. I have become very sensitive to the cold temperatures and the numbness I experience sometimes prickles and then turns to pain. Sometimes my body is so sensitive I can't even have a sheet rub me without that hurting. What is going on? Thanks for your direction.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible connective tissue condition.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

In my opinion such numbness and pain in the fingers, combined with sensitivity to skin changes and neck pain would point to the possibility of a rheumatological condition. By that I mean a connective tissue disease such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus which may manifest with the above symptoms due to arthritis often combined with neuropathy. Increased sensitivity to cold with change in skin color is also a common manifestation.
So I think that is the direction in which it should be investigated, first with a physical exam by your primary physician for other signs you might have missed and after with some laboratory tests including connective tissue disease markers such as rheumatoid factor and antinuclear antibodies.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.