What causes nosebleeds while on Atorvastatin and Tamsulosin?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 63 year old male, non-smoker, 5' 7", 167 lbs with a family history of heart disease (Father died @ 50 years, brother @ 65). I had an a-fib around 7 years ago. I take Atorvastatin & Tamsulosin daily. Lately I have had a reoccurrence of bleeding hemorrhoids when using the toilet which has been happening for nearly a week. I have been taking a stool softener and have been prescribed a steroid cream for the area.
About an hour ago, while packing for a trip, I experienced a sudden weakness overtake me. Both my arms began to feel strangely weak and I felt a bit unsteady. I rushed to take a baby aspirin and rest for a while.
My original a-fib was believed to have brought on by similar circumstances - I was somewhat anemic from bleeding hemorrhoids, was fighting a cold and had just circled the bases following hitting a home run during a softball game.
My cardiologist, who I saw about 2 months ago, has insisted that I take aspirin but I have held off because I have recently been having nosebleeds and, most definitely due to the recent onset of bleeding while using the toilet.
After taking the baby aspirin and taking it easy I feel better but I am concerned as to whether the sudden weakness was a cardiac event. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to different causes:

- low blood pressure
- cardiac arrhythmia
- low brain perfusion or TIA (although the fact that both your arms were weak is not typical of transitory ischemic accidents or TIA).

Anyway, I would explain that baby aspirin is not the best drug to prevent possible cardio-embolic events from atrial fibrillation. In these cases an anticoagulant (warfarin or new oral anticoagulants) may be needed.

I recommend going to the ER for a physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a brain CT scan
- some blood lab tests ( complete blood count, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, fasting glucose, coagulation tests).

Further tests ( a cardiac ultrasound and a brain MRI) may be needed.

I would also recommend discussing with your doctor on the above issues. Treating your hemorrhoids is necessary to prevent further bleeding. You should consult with the surgeon for a physical exam.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri