What causes nose bleeds during pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi I am 11 weeks pregnant and was wondering if I should be concerned that my nose only bleeds when I sneeze after the sneezing is done it stops
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nose bleed

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Local causes are common especially in association with a runny nose or recurrent sneezing, the dried eroded mucosa can bleed. Since the bleed is not continuous , there doesn't seem to be a hematological cause. Local lubricants plus antibiotics like polyfax can be applied on the affected area after cleaning it with diluted povidone.

If the problem persists, get your doctor to examine the area. If the bleed becomes heavy then Blood pressure needs to be checked and complete blood counts with platelets should also be done, in consult with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil