What causes nose bleeding after a head injury?
My 4 year old just had a fall and hit the back of his head. There is a swell and also he had nosebleed after that. The bleeding did not last more than 3mins. He gets nosebleed easily and the last time he had it was 12 hours ago
Nasal bleeding is quite common
Welcome to healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms Yenee,
Swelling at the site of injury and nasal bleed are quite common in children.
There is no cause for concern if following criteria are fulfilled
1. Child is playful and interested in surrounding
2. No abnormal movements of body
3. No persistent vomiting
4. No excessive crying
5. No loss of consciousness
6. There is no external deformity of nose
Local application of ice and analgesic/anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen syrup will provide him much needed relief.
Do get back to me if you need any assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Dr Deepak Kishore
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
My child is asleep now but he was complaining of giddiness before he slept. I did ask him to try walking when he complained of giddiness and I did not notice any clumsiness in his movements.
Should the giddiness be of any concern?
No cause for concern
Giddiness is also usually associated with pediatric Head injury and there is no cause for concern.
Allow him to sleep. He will wake up fresh.
Do keep me informed about developments.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sudden headaches and nose bleeds 6 days after head injury
- Child had head injury headache nose bleed stitches healing concerned
- Head injury and nose bleed
- What causes heaviness in my head after a head injury
- What causes bruising around the eyes after head injury
- What causes vertigoheadaches and double vision after a head injury
- What causes nose bleeding after head injury
- What is the cause for fever after a head injury
- Can head injury of a child lead to nose bleeding
- Nose bleed after head injury