What causes nose bleed and ear pain after head injury?

Posted on Sat, 3 May 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I fell and hit the front of my forehead on concrete three nights ago. I had a bump on my head that went down pretty quickly. I got a minor nosebleed last night only in the nostril on the side of my head that I hit. I now have an earache on the side of my head that I hit that is not unbearable. Should I wait it out or go to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: If nose bleeding reoccurs then consult your doctor Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Nose bleed can be due to trauma. Do some ice fomentation around nose .If nose bleeding episode re occurs then you need to consult your doctor Traumatic concussion injury can lead to raised intracranial pressure and blurring of vision. If you are having symptoms like nausea, vomiting, giddiness them you need to consult your doctor soon. Ear pain indicates infection or raised intra-cranial pressure. So even after taking analgesic if pain persists then you need to consult your doctor. Medication like analgesic [paracetemol] will reduce pain. When such patient comes to my hospital we usually do MRI brain if abnormality suspected. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon