• question-icon

What causes non-productive cough while on Lisinopril?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was taking lisinopril until 10 days ago when my physician told me to stop because I had a horrible non-productive cough. How long does it take for the cough to improve? I don't go back for another 10-14 days. I still have the cough, still non-productive but sounds horrible. It has lessened in amount of coughing but sounds like a very hoarse seal.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

I can very well understand your concern and I would like to tell you that Lisinopril belongs to ACE inhibitors group of drugs and approximately 10% of the patients develops harsh cough due to which medicine needs to be discontinued.

Cough usually resolves within a week or 10 days in most patients however it can take upto a month in patients with severe cough. So don't worry it will resolve completely in couple of more days.

I hope this information will answer your query. Feel free to ask if you have any other doubts

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist