What causes noisy breathing in an infant?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My Baby is now 28 days old. She sometimes has some noises coming out of her nose after feeding and today took out some thick Saliva sort of thing from her mouth today. Is this normal
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Let me assure you that what you describe is absolutely normal. You need to apply Nasoclear saline nasal drops in each nostril as and when needed. It will help to clear the nasal block that often develops.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes noisy breathing in an infant? 18 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
Few more questions we have

1. How do we balance her flexible and soft neck and keep it safe.

2. Sometime she suddenly cries from Deep Sleep. What could be the reason doc ?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
1. You need to keep her neck supported at all times. You can place a hand behind the neck when you hold the child in your lap. Head steadiness should appear by 4 months of age.
2. This is normal and nothing concerning. It could be due to abdominal colics. Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether formula feeds are being given. Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. You can otherwise give Coliaid when needed.

Follow-up: What causes noisy breathing in an infant? 1 hour later
Thank You Doctor.
My baby is having 1ml Vitamin D everyday along with some Sunlight. This was adviced by the doctor to reduce the Bilirubin which went upto 10 right after birth.
Currently baby looks very Normal . Until when she should continue Vitamin D and Sunlight exposure.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue Vitamin D supplement

Detailed Answer:
Good to know that.
Vitamin D should continue.
Sunlight is optional.