What causes noise in ear while shaking head?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have a noise in left ear when shaking my head no, had this problem for about 3 month been to the dr she said i had a ear infection got meds and drops but still have the problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear examination, I/A, PTA tests.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause for this noise when shaking the head would be fluid in the middle ear.

2. First, get an ear examination to rule out ear wax, ear drum perforations and an active ear infection.

3. If the ear drum is normal, get an Impedance Audiometry (Tympanometry) and a Pure Tone Audiometry (PTA) hearing test done.

4. If the I/A detects fluid in the ear or Eustachian Tube dysfunction (the tube that connects reg ear to the nose), then you will need nasal decongestants and steam inhalation to help restore the normal function of this tube.

5. If all these tests are normal, there is the possibility of Tinnitus (abnormal ear sounds). This is a common harmless problem, but is difficult to control. A neck doppler and X-rays will then be needed.

6. Upload these test results and clinical examination notes to narrow down the cause for this noise in your left ear.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist