What causes night time back pain?

Dr. Matija Romic

Posted on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i am a 48 year old woman who has lower back discomfort in the middle of night. Every night, for the last 3 months I wake up between 2-4am and the only thing that helps is getting a bunch of pillows and sleeping more upright at a 45 degree angle. Never had a problem like this before, no back injuries in my past. Only happens at night, no discomfort during any other time of day. When I do step aerobics class at gym or mild strength workouts or walk for an hour it seems worse at night, but only at night. I am not an athlete and do not play sports, just regular type of gym/workout/walking activity. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Check at first your spine

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for asking HCM,

I understand your concern since it is affecting your daily life. Night back pain is like usual back pain caused by variety of conditions. My suggestion is to visit your GP and examine your spine because problems or better to say degeneration of your intervertebral disk can cause pain while affecting your spine. Also fractures caused by accidents or as a result of osteoporosis. If this is ok, then you should consider gynecology illnesses, so visit your gynecologist. The other reason could be intestinal, so a proper intestinal examination would be required if the two above mentioned reasons are excluded.

I hope this answer was helpful to you and I hope you will listen to my advice and at first visit your GP.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T