question-icon

What causes night sweats,headaches and difficulty in breathing after blood transfusion?

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014
Question: I just got out of the hospital after receiving 2 units of blood for iron deficiency anemia caused by 4 bleeding ulcers. My dr. is out of town and they put "stabilized" on my release form. I am having really bad night sweats, bad headaches, difficulty breathing still. Hate to go back to ER.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Need not worry

Detailed Answer:

Headaches, night sweating, breathlessness are very common post discharge symptoms seen in people with recent blood transfusion. These symptoms will subside on their own without causing complications. Just maintain good hydration. There is no need for any treatment unless you show rise in body temperature.

If there is any increase in the body temperature it indicates blood reaction or infection. then you may have to take a dose of Tab Tylenol 500 mg and rush to the ER for further management.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Raju A.T