What causes night sweats?
there are various potential causes
night sweats can be caused by various disorders. I'll make up a list for you. The list is not exhaustive though.
- infections like tuberculosis, endocarditis, chronic osteomyelitis, etc
- tumors including hematologic malignancies like lymphomas.
- hormonal disorders like pheochromocytoma, hyperthyroidism and carcinoid syndrome
- certain drugs (mostly of the central nervous system like antidepressants, etc)
- obstructive sleep apnea.
Your doctor should examine you looking for enlarged lymph nodes or internal organs like the spleen and the liver, fever and other symptoms or signs of disease. Laboratory testing might be required.
Please keep in mind that night sweats are abnormal when they make the bed linen wet. A patient who sweats a lot but does not drench the linen, is just in a hot environment.
I hope it helps!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hoarseness shortness of breath and night sweats what are causes
- What causes severe night sweats
- What causes soaking night sweats
- What causes periodic night sweats
- What causes night sweats after gallstone surgery
- What causes night sweats and swollen ankles
- What causes night sweats shaking lightheadedness and weakness
- What causes night sweats in teenagers
- What causes night sweats and nausea after ovulation
- What causes excessive night sweats