What causes night sweats?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: All off a sudden I having horrible nght sweats and the only change is a recent iron infusion
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query.

I understand your concern but there is nothing to worry if night sweats aren't associated with other troubling symptoms like fever, chills etc .

If your bedroom is unusually hot or you are using too many bedclothes, you may begin to sweat during sleep - and this is normal.

If night sweats go for along time you should consult with a health care practitioner for a complete check-up to determine the cause of it.

Try to keep bedroom airy and put on cotton clothes and wide ,when you fall asleep.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 22 minutes later
Well there has to be more to be more than that I sleep with very light clothing
and when I wake up I am totally drenched I recently had a iron infusion would that be a cause?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be from iron infusion

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again .

As I sad above it doesn't seem as a big problem, having night sweat without any other troubling symptoms.

Please tell me the reason for iron infusion, do you have anemia?

Iron infusion gives no sweat as a side effect but it may occur and this vary from the person to person.

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 12 hours later
Yes I have anemia and multitude of other illness have been through with menopause for 10 years. It just seems unreal that I should just out of nowhere
start with hot flashes again. Oh well, maybe my heart doctor will have an answer
for me.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Iron infusion is the likely cause

Detailed Answer:
The recent iron infusion is likely to be causing your symptoms along with anemia and menopause. Yes, the hot flashes might have started again. You may want to consider hormonal supplementation.