question-icon

What causes night sweats, headache and shivering?

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014
Question: hi, three times this year ive had a high temperature (38') with shivers and night sweats thats lasted 24 hours, followed by a mild headache thats lasted a week. also i have a strange sensation \ smell in my nose almost like burnt woodchips, plus my sinusses \ head hurts if i bend over. any idea what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (6 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you seem to be having a sinus infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

From your history and complaints , it looks like that you are having a sinus infection.

Head hurting specially on bending over is characteristic of a sinus infection.

Please dont worry , take steam inhalation 2-3 times a day , it will help

You will also need to meet your ent doctor , who will examine you and start you on a course of antibiotics for the infection.

Please take tablet paracetamol 500 mg for the fever , it will help.

Thanks

Get well soon!

Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (13 minutes later)
thanks doc, that bears out what she told me, although im at a lose as to what could be causing it. my nose isnt blocked up though but does feel weird if i close off a nostril and inhale. does that tie in with your diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
yes it does!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes , your nose problem does go with the diagnosis of your sinus infection , although i would have to examine you before i can conclusively say that,

Many times there may be a swelling , mass or outgrowth in the nose which may block the drainage of the sinuses and this can cause a sinus infection

Please meet your ent doctor , he will be in the best position to help you!

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (17 minutes later)
thanks doc, im getting an appointment sorted for next week :)
(very relived now as its been driving me crazy!)
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
its my pleasure!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Glad to be of help!

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist