• question-icon

What causes night sweats, chest pain, cough and shortness of breath?

Posted on Fri, 5 Feb 2016 in General Health
Question: I've talked with you previously, a month ago a echo showed I was in heart failure with a EF 35% with global hypokinesis. The mitral valve leaflets thickened. Doc said its age nothing to worry with. I'm on metoprolol to slow HR which is what led me to a cardiologist. Had a cardiac MRI done results are back EF is 55%. So improvement cardio said beta blocker must be working. Also noted on the MRI that had a MITRAL REGURGITATION: Trivial. Which was not noted in the echo. Should I be concerned? Also symptoms I've been having really hasn't improved other than the shortness of breath. Lingering cough, night sweats, some chest pain mostly at night. There are times my arm feels tingly likes its going to sleep I find myself the out the day moving arm around shaking like to keep the blood flowing so it doesn't feel that way. Its annoying really.i will load all results again and the new one. Also what are your thoughts as cause? Dont get me wrong I'm glad there is improvement, originally my current cardio thought is was peripartum cardiomyeopathy or possibly tachycardia mediated cardio.. Only med I'm taking us the beta blocker
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

I am glad to hear from you again on HCM!

I am happy that your performed cardiac MRI has shown such a significant improvement.

The fact that no abnormal enhancement is detected is relaxing and excludes any potential infectious, infiltrative, fibrotic myocardial involvement, etc..

Regarding the possibility tachycardia induced cardiomyopathy, it seems to be less likely, as no persistent, frequent, complex arrhythmia has been present in your previous medical history.

As no other responsible causes have been detected, the option of a peripartum cardiomyopathy still remains likely and you are at the most lucky side of its common clinical course (because of your fantastic improvement).

Regarding the arm tingling and numbness, they don't seem to be cardiac related.
They may be related to a pinched nerve . I recommend you to consult with a neurologist for a careful physical exam and a nerve conduction study.

Hope to have been helpful!

If you have any other uncertainties, don't hesitate to ask me!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist