What causes night coughing?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Question: My Baby is 8 months old, what all can I feed her with? She is on Milk and Cerelac currently and sometimes in between i feed her with custard, banana, egg. Also I have noticed that at night she usually coughs. Is there something to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If cough is daily then try anti reflux medicines Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. You can continue feeding breast milk and cerelac. Cows milk is better avoided till one year of age. You can start all vegetables boiled without salt or mirchi. You can give bananas , boiled XXXXXXX , all fruits can be given. Slowly add Oslo, rice kanji, dhal, upma , kitchdi in small amounts. Make sure you try only one new food in a week. Add the next new food after a week and so on. By one year he has to eat chapathis. Add ghee or oil to each feed . Coughing occasionally is normal. You need not worry. But if this happens regularly in the night it could be due to reflux of acid from stomach to food pipe , which I usually treat with lansoprazole 10 mg once daily. It's better to get him examined for other infections or allergies before starting the medicines. Wishing your kid great health. Regards Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E