• question-icon

What causes neuritis while on Methimazole?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism back in January. I was initially on 10mg methimazole, but dr. quickly increased it to 30mg. I was on and off the meds for a while until I began to take them consistently for the month of XXXXXXX Data shows my levels are still extremely high, but the meds are working. I had an allergic reaction last Wednesday. I got hives, and woke up early morning gasping for air. Dr. reduced dosage to 5mg. I have not taken it yet-too scared to. I have also noticed a sudden twitch on the left side of my neck these last three weeks-add random times. Feels like a shock and makes me jerk. I have also noticed pain on my head-NOT a headache type pain, but more like PAIN at different areas at once, different places at different times. I wonder if the twitching and pain on my head are related to the hyperthyroidism, if it is a side effect of my meds, or if it is something completely different.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

I added the most recent labs from the endycronologist treating me. Hopefully it will give you insight.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hyperthyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.

There is an extremely uncommon side effect of methimazole called 'Neuritis'. It is not well known owing to it's rarity of occurrence. It is also not well characterized due to limited reporting in literature.

I strongly suggest you consult a neurologist. I had a similar patient of mine on methimazole who ended with a diagnosis of Trigeminal Neuralgia, attributed to methimazole. It even resolved after discontinuation of Methimazole.

However, discuss this with your endocrinologist and do not change any of your treatment plans without his/her advice.

As you know, your hyperthyroidism needs to be controlled well and in a stable manner for best outcomes.

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Western medicine scares me. I asked my doctor about any natural alternatives in diet or natural remedies, but given her background as a doctor, of course, she would not support anything out there as "credible." I respect her opinion. What is your stand on this, and do you have any resources I can reference that host alternative medicine options-if you do believe in them?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Complementary and alternative medicine are emerging globally. However, at this point I do not have enough published evidence to recommend any non-allopathic treatment that will help your condition
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist