What causes neonatal seizures?
Thanks in advance..
Requires investigations and continuation of phenobarbitone
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
This is a hard time for a family to celebrate the birth of a baby and to deal with medical issue.
Neonatal seizures are due to many causes and in around 50% resolves without having any significant impact on future development.
In your baby the cause may be low birth weight, raised bilirubin or some infection (less likely).
In view of preterm, fetal left kidney with hydronephrosis and single umbilical artery it is required to get evaluated for chromosomal abnormalities and genetic syndrome.
His karyotying, MRI brain, EEG and USG of baby to be done for complete evaluation.
Further blood workup should be planned according to reports.
The phenobarbitone should be continued. In asymptomatic cases it can be stopped after 3 months.
Consultation with a paediatric neurologist will help you follow right path.
Prognosis also depends upon investigations and treatment response.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back with further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes focal seizures
- What causes epileptic seizures
- What causes absence seizures
- What causes recurring seizures
- Neonatal seizure causes
- What causes febrile seizure
- What causes seizures and temproray paralysis
- What caused a seizure on a airplane
- Neonatal benign seizures causes
- What causes recurrence of seizures
- What causes recurrent painful sensation over one side of lower face?
- What does my blood test report indicate?
- What causes constant dizziness?
- Suggest treatment for weight gain, coldness and constipation
- What causes facial pain and leg numbness in a patient with diabetes?
- Suggest treatment for recurring optic neuritis in right eye
- What causes trouble thinking clearly while recovering form sepsis?
- How long should medication be continued after suffering partial paralysis?
- Suggest treatment for constant pain due to neuropathy
- What causes burning sensation in buttocks of a person with spinal problems?