• question-icon

What causes needle like pain in lower left abdomen in a diabetic patient?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have random needle like pains in the lower left side of my abdomen area for the last three day. I am diabetic type two, I suffer from peripheral neurapothy in my lower legs. I also take lyrica tablets twice per day. What could be causing the random needle like jabs. Please help
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion the uncontrolled blood sugar is the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There are a number of causes that can result in such a presentation like:

+Spinal cord abnormalities
+Herpes zoster
+Nerve root compression
+Hypocalcemia
+Alcoholism
+Partial seizure
+Multiple sclerosis
+Nerve entrapment
+Diabetes mellitus
and a few others.

But in my opinion, if your spine has been examined (Especially using an MRI) and been found healthy, then the only other cause could be your uncontrolled blood sugar sir. The peripheral neuropathy could also be adding to this, but in my opinion the cause is indeed your diabetes and you should discuss better control of your blood sugar levels with your doctor sir.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan