What causes neck pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hi there is a pain on the left side of my neck. i dont use pillow , in the morning i suddenly stretch my neck to look at other side and i feel strain and my neck got stretched. now when i try to turn my neck left i feel pain
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Posture related or due to muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
It's not uncommon in young people like yourself to have these neck pains. These could be posture related or due to muscle spasm. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated.
You should do following to have relief -
- Get a good oral muscle relaxant prescribed.
-Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol.Take these medication with your local doctor prescription.
-Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles.
-Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer.
-Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck.
-Take help of a physiothearpist .He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes neck pain? 12 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for providing the information.
I had taken physiotherapy treatment and had combiflame as i feel pain in neck. feeling better now. can you suggest me some tips to reduce muscle stiffness in neck.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regular exercise.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A hot fomentation and taking a muscle relaxant will help in reducing the neck stiffness. After the acute pain subsides regular exercise is the only way to keep the strength and flexibility of your muscles intact.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.