What causes neck pain while waking up?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hi my name is myriam today my father wake up and he has a circulation with a neck pain but this circulation is not all the time it is just when he rises from the bed and when his head down and when he returns to collect and when he turns his head to the left side note that the pain is in the left side of the neck thank you
Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cervical spondylosis / vertigo / postural hypotension

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

These symptoms are highly suggestive of stage 3 cervical spondylosis with nerve compression.Due to degenerated discs in the cervical spine,the vertebral artery gets compressed leading to episodes of giddiness.This occurs mostly while moving the neck to one side.

Another possibility is vertigo.
Middle/inner ear infection can also cause such type of symptoms.

Postural hypotension causing sudden fluctuations while getting up from bed can also lead to these symptoms.

I would suggest you to consult a doctor and get his Xray/MRI of the cervical spine done.

If his blood pressure is normal then a consultation with a ENT specialist will rule out any ear related issues.

Physiotherapy in the form of neck exercises,yoga and cervical traction will help.

Anti vertigo medicines will help temporarily to reduce the amount of giddiness.

Use cervical collar while ambulating.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.