What Causes Neck Pain While On Ibuprofen?
Follow up information:
> The pain is on the right side of my neck in the back up near my skull.
> When I said I had a limited range of motion, I meant my head has a limited range of motion.
> There is no "shooting" type pain down my arms or anything.
Muscular spasm and management
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern. After going through your history, I am suspecting it to be a case of "neck paraspinal muscle spasm or sprain".
It is, so, because--
- The pain is localized on one side of the neck. Usually, spine pain or spondylosis pain occurs in middle.
- The pain is causing restriction of movement. It happens in spasm as muscle is inflamed and swollen. Movement leads to stretching of it and pain.
- There is no shooting pain in arms or anything
- The pain is more during the night. It occurs because of inactivity and cold environment.
To further confirm, check focal tenderness on the right side. If it is present, it is almost certain then.
To manage the pain, you should--
- Avoid lying on the lateral side for few days. Try to sleep in the supine position and use a soft pillow or no pillow at all.
- Apply Diclofenac gel at pain site with gentle massage.
- Please also consult a physiotherapist for stretching exercise and massage.
- Hot fomentation will help you more.
- If still no relief, you can take tablet Diclofenac with muscle relaxant tolperisone after prescription. It will give you more relief than Ibuprofen.
- If still no relief, consult a doctor. You might need some investigation like an X-ray of the neck.
Hope it will help you. If you have doubt, please do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Home remedy for lump on neck
- How to reduce a swollen lymph node in my neck
- Lump and soreness on left side of neck
- Knot behind ear on neck
- Itchy white spots on ears and neck
- I have a lump near the scar tissue on my neck
- Hypertrichosis fuzzy hair face neck
- How to stop red spots after shaving neck
- Hole in my neck
- Ligament or swollen gland in neck