• question-icon

What causes navel swelling and symptoms of umbilical granuloma?

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello,
my belly button swollen from last week and seems getting worse. I am feeling ok, no fever or sick other than that. what do you think happened
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
mostly umbilical granuloma..daily dressing with antibiotics......

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your problem.
Most commonly you are having umbilical granuloma and less commonly umbilical hernia. If the swelling changes size with coughing or by manually,then it might be hernia. It sometimes associated with pain, if the obstruction is there. In that case, you will have to consult a surgeon immediately and plan for surgery.
In case of granuloma, there might be discharge either pus or blood or nothing other than swelling. If there is pain and redness associated, then chances of granuloma are more. In that case, i would suggest you to clean the area thoroughly with savlon/dettol and then apply betadene antiseptic over the area. If pus is coming out, then you will have to take antibiotic (may be third generation cephalosporin) accordingly. Because this is a prescription drug, you will have to consult a local doctor and confirm the diagnosis.
Don't need to worry much about it, it will be alright soon after doing daily dressing and antibiotic course for a week or so. I would also suggest you to check your blood sugar.
Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any further related queries, i will be happy to guide you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Jignesh Gorasia