What causes nausea while recovering from pneumonia?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 75, female, just recovering from pneumonia. I have none stop nausea, but no vomiting. It's been about 4 days. Should I see a doctor. I'm on vacation.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes you should see a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
In women and people with diabetes, nausea can be a sign of something going wrong with your heart. I suggest that you get go to an emergency department as soon as possible.
Even if it is not from your heart, non-stop nausea is serious. It is good that you are not vomiting, but you are probably not able to stay well hydrated and you will probably need some IV fluids if it has been going on for four days.
I suggest that you go to the Emergency Department so that they can give you something for the nausea and try to find out what is causing you to be so sick.
You are already depleted from the pneumonia. I am concerned that you will get into very serious medical trouble if you do not get this treated immediately.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson