What causes nausea, vomiting, right-sided lower abdominal pain and brown vaginal discharge?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am experiencing nausea, vomiting,pain in my lower right abdomen and lower back pain. These symptoms started about 24 hours ago. I have also noticed a very small amount of dark brown bloody discharge that started last night.

Additional information: I had my period on time and it was a normal length for me. It ended 3 days ago. I had cyst removed from both ovaries about a year ago.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go to the ER at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The common reasons for the complaints you are having are:
1.     Infection of appendix ( appendicitis)
2.     Cyst of the ovary which has partially twisted
3.     Ectopic pregnancy i.e. pregnancy outside the uterus. I know you just had a normal period. Occasionally ectopic pregnancy can present in this way.
4.     Stone in the ureter. In this case along with the symptoms you have you usually have pain while passing urine.
As you have these complaints since 24 hours, please go to the ER (emergency room) at the earliest. You need to be examined by doctor and get an ultrasound done.

I hope this helps. If you have further concerns, do write to me. I will be happy to answer.

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN