What causes nausea, severe vomiting, abdominal distention and stomach pain?

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Dear Dr. Rynne,
My husband, XXXXXXX age 44, has been suffering from nausea, severe vomiting, stomach distention and crippling pain. It all started when he was prescribed Latuda in addition to his well tolerated Welbutrin. He also has high blood pressure and was being treated with Losartin. He has two upper GI's and one lower, all came back clear. I'm terrified that I'm going to lose him. What do you opine?
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Several points

Detailed Answer:

First, it is quite unlikely for a drug effect to last last when the drug is in the body.

All of the medicines mentioned may be associated with nausea but one would expect this to stop in about a day after stopping them

It takes some imagination to come up with any way a side effect can stay last when the medicine is stopped!

I am imaginative.
This is not common nor likely but there are at least two ways Latuda could be connected to nausea.
First it is associated with the development of type two diabetes. This is testable. If some one has it can cause stomach emptying problems and reflux.
Metaclopramide is helpful if that is the case.

Alternatively Parkinson's can be associated with very long term use of Latuda and Parkinson's meds help and metaclopramide is very bad for it.

So grab is often helpful in any case of nausea

If this is a new or worsening abdominal pain liking for problems like with a cat and probably hospitalization is needed emergently.

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist