What causes nausea, lack of energy and morning sickness?

Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have an issue that has plagued me for over 2 years. I wake up in the morning not feeling good at all with some nausea, lack of energy. My usual meal is oatmeal and I get to feeling better during the day and eat normal, healthy fat free meals. Throughout the day I have had a lot of gas. Two weeks ago I ate a greasy meal immediately had to go to an emergency room in Brevard and the doctors, after several tests, said I had gallstones and recommended I have my gallbladder removed. I am currently o.k. but back to the morning sickness. My question is whether my symptoms of morning g nausea, gas and lack of energy are associated with my gallbladder?
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Night time reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I am Dr.Barani and I am pleased to assist you.

Nausea in the morning, gas and lack of energy are not typical symptoms gallstone disease.
You are probably having a nighttime reflux disturbing your sleep which makes you feel you lack energy when you get up.
Reflux may be responsible for nausea also.

I presume blood glucose and thyroid function test have been done and are within normal limits.
I also believe your hemoglobin is within normal limits.

You can take zantac at bedtime for relief.

If upper GI endoscopy has not been done, please get it done.

Gallbladder has to be removed if there is recurrent gallbladder attacks which will be evident in abdominal scans or if the gallbladder function is poor as evident by a low EF. You can discuss with your doctor about this.

Dr.Barani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 17 hours later
I have concerns that my morning sickness, gas and lack of energy do not indicate (even though I have gall stones and had one attack) the need for gall bladder surgery. Answers from doctors verify my concerns. My symptoms sometimes get better and are not getting worse but have been around for a couple of years. Energy level seems to be declining.

From doctor's replies, I am still a bit confused regarding whether it could be pancreas or acid relux. Despite morning sickness, I recover somewhat and can function in the afternoon and evenings despite the lack of energy.

I take 2 tablets per day of Pantoprazole SOD DR 40 MG and recently have had normal bowel movements. No blood... Any specific recommendations regarding tests you feel might help in the diagnosis and what type of doctor?
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
gallstones are NOT the cause for your symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.

I have said in my previous post that gallstones are NOT the cause for your symptoms. And I have also said acid reflux is the possible cause. I would suggest tablet Zantac at bedtime as advised after discussing with your treating doctor.

Pancreatitis is less likely.

Regarding the tests, blood glucose, thyroid function test and hemoglobin are to be done if not done already. A 24 hours pH monitoring test need to be done to rule out acid reflux.

Dr.Barani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad