What causes nausea in a diabetic while on insulin?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Diabetes
Question: My son has Diabetes and he is Dizzy and nauseous all the time, takes insulin has been to the ER 4 times and they say he is dehydrated get him going again but it only lasts for a couple of day's and he is Dizzy again, he is on Mad i cal, What can he do.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your son's bothersome symptoms. I strongly suggest your son should consult an endocrinologist in-person to undergo a thorough assessment in order to understand what is going on. It is vital to diagnose the correct reason for these persistent symptoms. Sometimes thyroid and adrenal problems cause this. When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)                                                                                         12 hour Fasting Lipid profile
Urine albumin to Creatinine Ratio (early sign of diabetes affecting the kidney)
25 hydroxy Vitamin D   levels   (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml =  100 to 150 nmol/liter)     

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 hours later
My Son Has a doctor appointment on the 26th of august the doctor has ordered the lab test that you mention, can he wait that long to see the doctor because of his dizziness.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
No. His symptoms could represent a medical emergency. I know he has been to the ER repeatedly but I cannot state with certainty he does not need urgent care as I do not have the opportunity to examine him on this online forum.

A comprehensive evaluation is necessary to get to the bottom of his symptoms. I would even consider the possibility of adrenal insufficiency by doing a blood test at 8 am in the morning called Serum Cortisol.