What causes nausea, fatigue, headache and breathlessness while on Ranexa, Atorvastatin and Metoprolol?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had nausea and extremely low energy and fatigue for over a month. From time to time I run a little fever. I can barely get from one chair to the next. I am short of breath. Constipated. Mild headache. I have in the past diagnosed with coronary artery disease and take medicine for this. Renexa, lisinapril, metoprolol, avorstatin. I am tired of being tired!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to different causes:

- heart failure
- chronic anemia
- electrolyte imbalance
- adverse effects related to your therapy.

Have you made any changes in your therapy recently?

Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests
- fasting glucose
- uric acid levels
- PCR and sedimentation rate for inflammation.

It is also necessary to closely monitor your blood pressure values and refer them to your doctor. Low blood pressure can lead to this symptomatology.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,
Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 hours later
This morning I have nausea up in my throat, shortness of breath, general fatigue. When I spoke with the nurse practioner at my clinic she said I have had all those tests u recommended. Why do I feel this way. Could I have something else like lime disease, cancer, something I'm not tested for?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Coming to this point, considering the fact that all your performed tests have excluded the above mentioned causes, I would recommend consider ranexa as a possible cause of your symptoms.

Dizziness, headache and nausea are common adverse effects of this drug.

I recommend discussing with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Thank you for that answer. It hasn't been so terribly long ago my PA upped the dosage of renexa from 500mg to 1000mg twice daily. I am going to stop taking it and evaluate. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Let me know about everything!

Dr.Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 hours later
This morning I have NO nausea and no headache. 24 hours without Renexa. Do u think I should be concerned about stopping cold turkey the Renexa. My heart was probably getting use to it. Thank you.

See above question
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it is OK to stop cold turkey Ranexa.

Anyway, you should consult with your prescribing doctor on the possibility to switch to Trimetazidine, which may be better tolerated .

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Thank you I will do that. You have been most helpful. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Wishing good health,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T