What causes nausea, diarrhea, lack of appetite, persistent stomach and back pain?
She ordered an ulra-sound and whatever you call it when they put the scope down your stomach. She also prescribed Metronidazole and Ciprofloxacin. I am really concerned about taking these antibiotics without any evidence that there is a bacteria infection. Is it common practice to prescribe an antibiotic for such without any bloodwork (CBC)?
Your symptoms are quite characteristic for gallstones.
Thank you for the query.
Giving this two antibiotics without proper diagnosis is not a good idea. Its easy to give a prescription, because not the Nurse will have awful side effects of this antibiotics which can make you feel even worse. Even if she thought it is gastrointestinal infection, plenty of such infections are caused by viruses. And antibiotics are completely ineffective against viruses.
Your symptoms indicate that you might have gallstones. Upper abdominal pain radiating to back is a vary characteristic symptom of this problem. Nausea very common appears with this issue. Diarrhea is also possible. And usually there is no fever.
Peptic ulcer (which she wants to diagnose with gastroscopy) does not give pain which radiates to back.
In my opinion you should follow this steps:
- have abdominal ultrasound and blood work done, amylase level and liver tests should be done as well, amylase should be checked in urine as well
- avoid any solid foods for next 12 hours and drink plenty of liquids
- until you wont get an ultrasound result, avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, coffee, alcohol
- if ultrasound will be negative, than gastroscopy is a correct next step
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Back pain and green diarrhea
- What causes delayed periods back pain diarrhea followed by constipation
- Pregnant constipation diarrhea nausea back pain cause of worry
- Diarrhea nausea rapid heart beat back pain
- Can diarrhea cause back pain
- Lower back pain nausea diarrhea
- Diarrhea leg back pain
- Diarrhea and back pain
- Lower back pain and diarrhea
- Back pain headache and diarrhea