What causes nausea and weakness after consumption of high doses of antidepressant?
Most likely she has developed symptoms of serotonin syndrome.
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries
I can understand your concern. Most of anti-depressants work by increasing the concentration of serotonin and nor-adrenaline in brain. She was prescribed to take 150 mg but accidentally took 250 mg and so she has developed symptoms like nausea, weakness, lack of appetite. Most likely she has developed serotonin syndrome which is common with overdose of antidepressants.
She has passed three days and so as per my opinion serious acute phase has passed and now she is improving. Get her blood pressure checked and give her plenty of fluids and if possible glucose drinks. This will help to maintain her nutrition levels. If she is feeling severe nausea then medicines like Pentoprazole or Omeprazole can help. These medicines help to reduce nausea and she will feel better. Drugs like low dose benzodiazepines like Clonazepam can help to reduce the anxiety and weakness she is having. This will help to improve her appetite also.
Wait for some time for spontaneous recovery and if symptoms persist then visit a doctor for prescription. No need to worry because she has passed the acute phase.
Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please ask again for more doubts if you have. If possible please mention the exact drug name she was taking so that I can comment with confidence.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What antidepressants cause elevated liver tests
- What causes nausea after shower
- What antidepressant cause elevated lfts
- What causes nausea after alcohol consumption
- What causes dizziness and nausea after waking up
- What antidepressants cause hair loss
- What causes night sweats and nausea after ovulation
- What causes nausea after eating
- What causes nausea after an endoscopy
- Antidepressants anxiety nausea causes