What causes nausea and vomiting when suffering from sphincter of oddi dysfunction?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Sat, 19 Apr 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been diagnosed with sphincter of oddi dysfunction. Got suddon onset of severe pain, nausea, vomitting, and 100.4 fever. Should i go to the ER?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: you should go and get checked by an ER doctor, and get basic laboratory testing. Sphincter of oddi dysfunction (SOD) is a difficult diagnosis to make, and sometimes is made by exclusion of other things. There are many types of SOD, and i don't know how they diagnosed that in your case. The gold standard is by an ERCP with manometry of the sphincter of oddi. In any case, having fever and severe abdominal pain is potentially XXXXXXX and that is why a doctor should evaluate you ASAP, and make sure you don't have elevated liver tests, abnormal white cell count, etc. You may require antibiotics, and imaging studies. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Follow up: Dr. Enrique Molina 34 minutes later
It was diagnosed by an mrcp. Waiting for the surgery on the 8th. Ive vomitted 6 or 7 times in the last hour. Fever is 101.0 now. I dont kbow what to do .
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: go to er Detailed Answer: definitely go to the er, as the temperature is going up, you are vomiting too much. the bile ducts may get infected, and cause "cholangitis" particularly if you have a stone or something blocking the drainage of the bile. This may have been missed on a prior mrcp. I highly suggest you going ASAP before anything gets worse. Hopefully that helped, i wish you good health