What causes nausea and severe headache in a patient with depression and psychosis?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: hi doctor, i feel like my mind is going through an etreme low,like my mind has shut down,when i wake up i don't feel like its morning,i don't feel like anything anytime, like my mind and time has stopped running,no mental clarity feels like its a dream, i've been on antidepressants and antipsychotics in the past which i stopped taking because of some side effects and bad reactions with alcohol, struggled a lot during withdrawel which improved gradually after some time and i was almost normal, but i did a mistake by seeing a neurologist who put me on eliwel 10 mg and prodep 20 mg i drank a beer while on those meds since that night my mental health began to deterioration after that was put on clonazepam & felicita od which made it worse then ever, i felt numbness in my skin, disoriented, detached, nauseous and and severe headache... now iam not on any medication and whats left of me is what i described to you above.. can you please help me understand what iam going through..
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
drug cocktail; withdrawal reactions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

You feel like your mind has shut down and you feel low, no mental clarity.
You have had bad side effects with drugs.
You also had bad reaction with eliwel, prodep and alcohol.

I think you have had depression earlier for which you must have been given drug cocktail. This possibly caused adverse effects in you.

Usually prodep, eliwel has no serious interactions with alcohol. But unfortunately it left you disoriented, nauseous and detached and caused headache.
Another reason for this could be stopping alcohol abruptly at time leading to withdrawal effects.

Ideally, you should have been started with a single antidepressant like escitalaopram and lorazepam (as needed) to deal with withdrawals. (Prescription drugs).

Keeping in mind your current situation, I would not recommend using any psychotropic drug for you.

You should try some relaxation exercises like deep breathing and meditation.
You can consult a psychologist for biofeedback and cognitive therapy.

For headache and nausea, drugs like ibuprofen and ondansetron should help.

Ensure that you get adequate sleep and diet.
If the disorientation worsens, you must consult a psychiatrist.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 9 hours later
i've been having bad reactions to some nutritional supplements too, and some antibiotics, and alcohol, my eyes keep itching face is bloated, became really ill more then once, i saw a doctor due to an infection around my tooth and was given ofloxacin,ornidazol, novacold, and lyconez few days later this bloated face and depressive and detachment feelings went away(but it returned later) why did it help ? is it an infection ?

what does this suggest Eosinophil 09 %
               SGPT 44 U/I
               Blood Sugar (random ) 155 mg/dl

And lastly, my left hand feels jittery, and abnormal posture when playing guitar, will this go away with time ? is there anything that will help ? how long does withdrawel reactions last ?

Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
drug allergies, rule out brain lesions.

Detailed Answer:
Dear,
Your description suggest that you have had allergic reactions to the drugs in past.
Eosinophils are raised in allergic conditions.
In some cases, mild allergic reactions return to XXXXXXX on their own but only to recur back.

SGPT and blood sugar are not significantly raised in my opinion. However, I would suggest you to go for fasting blood sugar levels.

Jittery feeling in one hand and abnormal posture may be due to withdrawal effects of alcohol. However, brain imaging studies should be done and brain lesions should be ruled out as withdrawal effects are usually generalised and not limited to one side of body.

Withdrawal effects usually last for around one week or so in mildly dependent individuals.

Hope this helps.
Kindly discuss these issues with your doctor.

I wish you well.