What causes nausea and loss of appetite after antibiotic ingestion?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been on antibiotics for 8 days for strep throat.(no throat culture was taken to determine if it was strep throat). The antibiotics have has made me extremely nauseous & unable to eat. I vomit everything I eat. I have had shingles before & I am wondering if have a viral infection. I read that taking antibiotics for a viral infection can make a person ill with a number of side effects.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to stop oral antibitics

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your query and medical history; it suggest that you may be suffering from gastritis due to antibiotic ingestion.

Better to stop oral antibiotics and go for injectable antibiotics after throat swab culture and antibiotics sensitivity if necessary.

It's necessary to you to take antacid medicine as well as bland diet ( avoid spicy food) to overcome the side effect of antibiotics.

Avoid smoking, alcohol drinking and tea/ coffee drinking if you have.

I personally advised to you to consult ENT specialist for better diagnosis and management.

Thanks

Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist